The Assam Science & Technology Department is the nodal Department for the promotion of the Science & Technology in the State. The objectives of tackling the problems of unemployment and poverty in rural areas and the under privileged sections of the society by infusing science & technology. To initiate, support, promote and co-ordinate research and development projects which are relevant to the achievement of specific S & T objectives and help in the utilization of natural as well as human resources of the state through institutions of the state and with interaction with national bodies with S&T components .
- To formulate policies on various aspects of science, technology and environment which are in the interest of the state and country.
- To formulate schemes/programmes on the various aspects of science, technology and environment.
- To execute/implement schemes on science, technology and environment of the Govt.of India, Govt. of Assam, North Eastern Council and other public bodies.
- To promote research in the field of science, technology and environment in Assam by giving financial support to scientists, technical persons and experts working in institutions or other in the state.
- To advice the concerned departments/organisations of the Govt. of Assam, public bodies etc. on various aspects of science, technology and environment, in so far as the departments/organisations are concerned.
- Upgradation of the present system of Guwahati Planetarium including Sky show
- To implement various schemes/programme through its subordinate organisations institutions(ASTEC,AEDA,CPP,IASST).
- To run the administration of the Science and Technology Department.
Rules, Regulation, Instruction, Manual etc. held by the Department for discharging its functions :-
- The Assam Rules of Executive Business, 1968.
- The Manual of Office Procedure-Sect.
- The Assam Services (Discipline and Appeals) Rules, 1964.
- The Assam Services (Pension) Rules, 1969.
- The Fundamental Rules and Subsidiary Rules (FRs & SRs).
- Assam Civil Service (Conduct) Rules, 1965.
- The Assam Revised Leave Rules, 1934 as amended.
- The Assam SC/ST (Reservation of vacancies in) Services and Post) Act, 1978 and Rules 1983 thereunder.
In addition to Secretariat office of S&T it has three offices:
- Directorate Office (Note: Currently merged with department in Secretariat)
- ASTEC office
- AEDA office and (Note: ASTEC & AEDA shares the same director )
- The Guwahati Planetarium.