Assam has a total installed power generation capacity of 1,599.65 MW, of which 364.7 MW is produced by APGCL. 2318 villages covering 27.5 Lakh rural households have been electrified, as on July 2017.
Leveraging Assam’s Ecosystem:
- Assam amongst other North eastern states has the highest potential for solar energy with an estimated potential of 14 GW solar energy.
- Assam has a capacity to produce 680 MW of hydro power.
- Power Projects under construction in the state: 930.5 MW
- Power Projects in pipeline in the state:1901.5 MW
Growth Drivers for Power Sector:
- Diversification into Renewable Resources
- Favourable Policies
- Increase in Economic Activity
- Rapid urbanisation
Projections indicate that over 1500 Megawatts of new generation capacity would be required in Assam in the coming years. There is a large gap in the demand and supply of power, because of which there are opportunities in power generation from hydro, coal based, natural gas based and alternative energy, transmission network ventures. Efforts for the reduction of power coasts are underway.